Every year brings another birthday, another year older, another milestone. Today I’m looking back at life as it once was and pressing forward to another life ahead. Join me as I reminisce, won’t you?
- running up the stairs and still full of energy at the top
- looking in the mirror and seeing myself
- thinking quickly, always able to find the words I needed
- a smiling face without any downward pull at the corners of my mouth
- clear eyes, alert and active
- eagerly starting each day as though it was a new adventure
- a jumble of ideas and ambitions all fighting for space in my mind
But now, those things are all warm and distant memories. Instead my days are filled with new realities:
- trudging up the stairs, pulling myself with the handrail and pausing for breath, finally reaching the top with racing heart
- looking in the mirror and seeing my mother
- often forgetting where my sentences are going
- mouth and eyes showing the effects of gravity and age
- slowly pulling myself from my bed each morning
Yet the ideas and the ambitions still fight for space in a mind that is foggier. I’m still me and the world is still waiting to be explored. What about you? Are you pressing forward?